I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.
Main Purpose of the Job:
Maintenance personnel are imperative to the sustainability of Fort Steele Heritage Town. This position is extensive and covers a wide range of duties, from general day-to-day care of the site to larger-scale projects that may involve the coordination of other departments and contractors. Flexibility in the expectations of the job is necessary as working conditions will fluctuate based on the season, and workloads will vary based on funding allotments and available manpower. The position requires consideration and adherence to environmental protection and heritage standards.
This role reports to the Assistant General Manager
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop maintenance procedures and ensure implementation
• Ensure staffing is sufficient, interview and hire when necessary
• Allocate workload and supervise maintenance staff
• Carry out inspections of the facilities to identify and resolve issues
• Plan and oversee all repair and installation activities
• Follow procurement procedures, monitor equipment inventory and purchase when necessary
• Monitor expenses and control maintenance budget
• Manage relationships with contractors and service providers
• Keep maintenance logs and report on daily activities
• Ensure health and safety policies are complied with
• Address safety critical work orders first and foremost
The maintenance manager is a hands-on position and the individual will participate in the following:
• Complete projects that are critical to ensure longevity of heritage artefacts and/or buildings.
• Complete day to day site maintenance as required for the season (garbage/ recycling collection, snow removal, road maintenance, grass care, irrigation etc.)
• Assist with special event preparations, setup and takedown as required.
• Respond appropriately to department heads’ requests for assistance without workorders as time allows.
• Be prepared/aware that emergency situations can/ will occur. During these times it is imperative that a maintenance person is available or makes themselves available to ensure that the site can operate as efficiently as possible and damages to heritage artefacts/buildings are reduced or eliminated.
• Monitor site equipment and tool use, safety is a priority and all tools that are needed by departments should be fully functioning and available when needed.
• Maintain a clean and organized workspace, work yard and ensure that on rounds of the site that anything unusual is investigated and reported to necessary departments as required.
• Be courteous, helpful and respectful of volunteers, staff and visitors in all interactions.
• Other duties may arise and the Maintenance Manager is expected to assist whenever practical.
• Trade qualification is preferred. Knowledge of general carpentry, mechanics, plumbing, or electrical work is also considered an asset.
• Proven experience as maintenance manager or other managerial role
• Experience in planning maintenance operations
• Working knowledge of machines and equipment
• Ability to keep track of and report on activity
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
• Knowledge of heritage construction is an asset. Experience in working at a heritage site, or not-for-profit organization is also an asset.
• Solid understanding of technical aspects of plumbing, carpentry, electrical systems, etc. is considered an asset.
• A criminal record check is required.
Maintenance jobs at Fort Steele are exposed to a wide range of environments based on what is required at a specific time of year. Working outdoors in the summer and winter can provide less than accommodating environments at times, and jobs should be prioritized based on the seasons. Of course, some environmental situations will occur, such as snow plowing and walkway maintenance in the winter or fire prevention in the spring/summer.
Some jobs will be more difficult than others, and the safety of the employee will always be a high concern. Intensive jobs will be expected to be assessed for the most efficient and safe way to be completed. Weekend work, overtime shifts, or call-ins may be required.
A medical report may be required for this position.
Should be capable and physically fit to lift 27+kg (60+ lbs), recognizing that safety equipment should be used when necessary for specific jobs.
Employees should have a clean drivers abstract, be capable of standing for long periods of time, using stairs, walking fair distances (2+ km), kneeling etc.
Vision and Hearing Requirements
Employees should have their hearing and vision tested annually. Eye, ear and lung protection are available and should be used for each job as required.
The employee is expected to make quick decisions, work collaboratively with other departments and employees, problem solve, read or write, may be asked to speak publicly, or interpret data.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org